Sotirios Papafragkou, MD, FACS is a triple board-certified surgeon. Dr. Papafragkou is board certified in Plastic Surgery, Hand and Microvascular Surgery, and General Surgery. He is an active member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH), the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), and The Aesthetic Society (ASAPS).
Dr. Papafragkou is serving Long Island and New York City. In addition to his Plastic Surgery training, Dr. Papafragkou has completed three more additional fellowships. He was trained under the world-renowned Dr. Blondeel, in Belgium, specifically for breast reconstruction. Moreover, he completed an additional aesthetics fellowship under the word-expert in eyelid surgery, Dr. Mark Codner in Atlanta, GA. Dr. Papafragkou also completed a fellowship in Hand and Microvascular Surgery at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey. He specializes in blepharoplasties, endoscopic brow lifts, breast reconstruction/reduction/augmentation/lift, body contouring and hand surgery.
Dr. Papafragkou after graduating medical school he completed a General Surgery Residency at Nassau University Medical Center on Long Island. He completed his formal Plastic and Reconstructive training at the Medical College of Georgia. He has also completed a Hand and Microvascular fellowship at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey as well a cosmetic and occuloplastic fellowship with Dr. Codner in Atlanta. In addition Dr. Papafragkou competed a breast reconstruction fellowship in Belgium.
He has been involved in teaching and medical research. He participated in studies at Columbia University as well as St. Lukes-Roosevelt. He has received the 2006-2007 award for outstanding resident research. Dr. Papafragkou has published several studies in prestigious medical journals including the Journal of Hand Surgery.
At this orthopedic Hand and Microvascular fellowship, Dr. Papafragkou treated a wide range of hand and upper extremity trauma including nerve injuries. He also managed outpatient, elective hand conditions including among others Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Dupuytren's Contracture, Trigger Fingers and Cubital Tunnel.
At his Aesthetic and Occuloplatic fellowship he focused on cosmetic eyelid surgery, face lifts and endoscopic brow lifts.
At his Breast Reconstruction fellowship Dr. Papafragkou was exposed to all forms of post-mastectomy breast reconstruction.
Dr. Papafragkou is fluent in his native Greek language.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, Virak Tan, John Capo, et al. “Stratification of the Risk Factors of Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Hand Infection,” Journal of Hand Surgery (J Hand Surg Am) 2010 Jul;35(7):1135-41. 2010 Jun 17.PMID:20610059.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, John Capo, Virak Tan. “Partial Rupture of Flexor Digitorum Profundus Tendon Following Blunt Trauma: A Case Report and Review of Literature.” Journal of Hand and Microvascular Surgery. October 2009.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, Ana Gasparyan et al. “Treatment of portal venous gas embolism with hyperbaric oxygen after accidental ingestion of hydrogen peroxide.” Journal of Emergency Medicine, October 19, 2009.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, Ludmila Haimovici, Steward Fox, et al. ” Salivary Gland Tumor of the Mediastinum. A case report and review of literature.” The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2006 Sep; 132(3):724-5.
- Ludmila Haimovici, Sotirios Papafragkou, Edmond Kessler, et al. “Handlebar Hernia: Traumatic abdominal wall hernia multiple enterotomies. A case report and review of literature.” The Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2007 Mar;42(3):567-9.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, Ludmila Haimovici, Elizabeth Cirincione, et al: “Hepatic artery aneurysm erosion into the stomach: An unusual cause of gastrointestinal bleeding.” Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010 Jul;39(1):32-4. Epub 2008 Oct.
- Sotirios Papafragkou, Andaz Shahriyour, Steward Fox, et al: “Leaking Diaphragmatic Blebs. A real-time video documentation.” Cardiothoracic Network. July 2006.